Re: Programming Languages for Technical Communicators

Subject: Re: Programming Languages for Technical Communicators
From: Melissa Brown <Melissa_Brown/Claritas -at- CLARITAS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 09:35:47 -0500

>>As a technical writer, you probably aren't trying
>>to become a programmer, but want to be able to
>>understand programs and discussions about programs.

YES!!! Particularly if you plan on developing online Help for
software applications. I'm increasingly having to EDUCATE programmers
on how to call the Winhelp API in their code, what parameters to use,
etc. This is particularly true when programmer turnover is high
and/or contract programmers are called in.

I studied Computer Science for two years in college and that knowledge
has proved to be invaluable on the job. Differential Equations I could
do without...but not Pascal, COBOL (remember COBOL?), and Visual Basic.

Melissa Brown
Sr. Technical Writer
mebrown -at- claritas -dot- com