Intranets

Subject: Intranets
From: "KAHN, DEBRA" <DEBRAK -at- FTC1 -dot- AEI -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 18:21:50 -0600

Hi all,

Regarding my earlier post--

(snip)
I have also been charged with setting up a plan for placing new and legacy
manuals on an intranet. New manuals are in Frame 5.1. Old manuals are in
Ventura 4.2. We have a copy of Adobe Acrobat (Distiller) and are getting a
copy of FrontPage. We run WindowsNT on Pentium PC connected to a network
server. We will have a separate server for the Intranet. I'm new to the
concept of Intranets. If anyone has specific suggestions or a list of
resources to recommend, I would be extremely grateful.
(snip)

I have received only one response offering suggestions (pasted below).
Thanks Becky! However, it seems as though several of us are faced with this
task. I have found some interesting web site addresses that I will be
investigating over the weekend. I will share them when I return to work.
Thanks to Barb and Lisa for the interest. At least we can commiserate.

Response--
Debra,

Your Frame documents are of course not a problem. They can be converted
to HTML. The Ventura files present a different set of challenges. If
you can convert Ventura to WORD, you can go from WORD to HTML. I
haven't used Ventura, so I don't know what success you will have there.
Reading your query, it struck me that your problem seems similar to one
we have addressed in our office.

We are currently converting to FrameMaker 5.5 from BookMaster (old, old
mainframe publishing system). We also have some documents in WORD. For
our online delivery via a LAN, but could also work on an intranet, we
bought Acrobat Capture 3.1 (?? latest version). Since the BookMaster
stuff can't easily be converted to anything, Capture and a good scanner
were the answers. Capture allows you to scan hardcopy documents into a
PC file which can then be converted to a PDF. The PDF files are then
accessible through the Acrobat Reader. We use FrontPage and JAVA
scripting to create a front-end user interface to provide full-text
search across multiple documents. Oh, we also use Netscape as the
browser tool.

This solution was relatively inexpensive since we already had a very
good scanner. The Capture software and FrontPage are around a $1,000.
The resulting product can be uploaded to a server for an intranet or, as
we are planning to do, recorded to CD-ROM.

Hope this info helps.

Becky Roberts
Project Manager-Documentation
TSYS