Finding a good printer?

Subject: Finding a good printer?
From: geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 08:56:55 -0600

David Janus is <<having some trouble getting [his] manuals
printed... the person in our marketing office who is
dealing with the printer doesn't seem to understand my
requirements and doesn't seem to be asking the right
questions of the printer. I produce my work in Word 7 and
then output it to a PostScript file using a Docutech
driver... evidently the file gives them some problems.
Their suggestion? Use Quark.>>

Sounds like you've encountered the dreaded "single source
provider" problem; that is, your marketing people have a
comfortable relationship with a single printer or service
provider, and have no intention of looking around for
someone else equally qualified. This isn't always a bad
thing; I'm currently working in a long-term
(non-codependent!!!) relationship with a printer, and
although we could shave a few bucks by shopping around, we
get excellent service from someone who understands our
needs and responds to them quickly and well.

In your case, the service provider simply doesn't want to
invest the effort to learn new technology (in this case,
how to handle a DocuTech file from Word). That's not
necessarily a bad thing: word processors in general are
infamous at typesetting services for posing Postscript
output problems, and few people want to invest the
resources to figure out how to use a word processor with a
typesetter. Quark is superb software, and has been
thoroughly debugged by typesetting pros, but it's
unnecessary in this case. There must be dozens of service
providers in New York who know Docutechs inside out. Ask
your marketing guy to call Xerox and get a list of printers
who use the Docutech system and your problem will likely be
solved... assuming that your file isn't corrupted or
otherwise unprintable, of course. Have you verified this?