Re: Verb overusage

Subject: Re: Verb overusage
From: Barb Philbrick <caslonsvcs -at- IBM -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 1998 18:57:22 GMT

I'll vote for consistency. My bugaboo is "make sure." Sometimes I mix
in a few "verifies" and "ensures," but I think this can be confusing
-- is verifying a procedure a little more rigorous than making sure of
a procedure? It's better to stick with one or the other, IMHO.

Barb

On Tue, 20 Jan 1998 16:05:34 -0500, you wrote:

>Has anyone ever had the experience where they keep selecting a verb in
>preference to any synonyms that might exist for it?
>
>I've been using "associated" and its various forms almost exclusively in
>context to that verb. It actually works really well in these contexts, but
>is this an example of lazy writing or consistency?

Barbara Philbrick, Caslon Services Inc.
Technical Writing