Re: Making the leap to contracting

Subject: Re: Making the leap to contracting
From: AnnMacknz <AnnMacknz -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 14:53:11 EST

<< I consider myself in an apprenticeship right now
(working captive)--three years to go--and there are very specific goals
I've set for myself before I bump myself up. ... I know I'll have a fighting
chance of doing a great job when I do start.

How do others see their transition from captive to contract? >>

Good plan, Sella

Except, 3 years can be a long time in the computer business; you might be
missing some good work opportunities. If you acquire online doc and desktop
publishing experience, and learn to use one or more good graphics packages,
you will be well suited for contracting during the next 5-7years or so, and
you do not have to be the ultimate expert in any one software package or
style.

Its much more important to know how to get up to speed quickly, how to
organize a project, and how to get information from SMEs - things you already
know if you're a successful captive writer.

In my experience, usually companies want contractors to already have knowledge
of both products and software before hiring them. (Sometimes, like right now,
writers are so much in demand that companies will hire contractors and ask
them to learn new products/methods. :-) This is a wonderful time to be
looking for new challenges!

My $ .02
Cheers Ann