Re: Manual non-standard font question

Subject: Re: Manual non-standard font question
From: "Huber, Mike" <mrhuber -at- SOFTWARE -dot- ROCKWELL -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 08:47:44 -0600

Been there (well, close).

Our primary line of products starts with RS. RSTrend, RSView,
RSWhatever.

We used to have a rule that the RS had to be bold. Quite a bit more
subtle than Tom's situation, but ours got pretty annoying pretty fast.
One of the other writers said our pages looked like they had chicken
pox, and I had to agree. That rule has been rescinded.

Now, I'm resisting a push to eliminate bold text from body text in our
documents. Paragraphs without bold text look better. I think bold text
has a place, clarity and ease of navigation being more important than a
pretty page. But only when it's there to help the reader. Playing games
with the typography for the product name is not something you do to help
the reader, it's strictly for marketing. (Hmmm... I suppose there could
be a situation where the reader is looking for product names, but that
would be in a catalog or a parts list or something, and the rules are
different there.)

When I created web pages under that rule, one argument I used
(successfully) against changing the font for the RS was that it confuses
search engines. A search for "RSTrend" will fail to find
"<b>RS</b>Trend". Some search engines might strip out the tags, but most
don't.

---
mike -dot- huber -at- software -dot- rockwell -dot- com