OPEN POSITION: Snr. Tech Writer, San Leandro (SF Bay Area), California

Subject: OPEN POSITION: Snr. Tech Writer, San Leandro (SF Bay Area), California
From: Trevor Grayling <trevor -at- MDLI -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 09:53:05 -0800

MDL is the world's leading provider of scientific information management
systems, databases, and other services used in pharmaceutical, biotech, and
similar companies. We are located near the marina in San Leandro, in the
San Francisco Bay Area.

MDL is a stable and progressive company with competitive salaries,
flextime, and a full range of benefits.

We have two new full-time positions open, effective immediately:

Senior Technical Writer
Senior Scientist Writer

As a member of the technical communications team for end-user products, you
will be responsible for developing strategies to enable our users to
effectively and efficiently use a variety of MDL's end-user applications.

Responsibilities:

* In coordination with other team members, research and plan an effective
technical-communications strategy for a variety of end-user applications.
This strategy may include: user-interface design in conjunction with
contextual inquiry, usability engineering, and usability testing; online
help; task-oriented manuals; other printed documentation; web pages; PDF
files, and so on.

* Based on the approved strategy, organize, develop, and create the
approved deliverables in a high-quality and accurate manner under minimum
supervision.

* Develop professional relationships with team members, software
developers, and others in order to collect the necessary technical
information and to ensure timely, quality reviews of work in progress.

* As necessary, participate in product-team reviews of product descriptions
and functional specifications.

* As a team member, work to continually improve the effectiveness and
efficiency of our technical-communications strategies for end users.

Minimum Qualifications:

* Professional level of experience generally equivalent to a 4-year college
degree (Snr. Tech. Writer)
* Degree in a laboratory science such as Chemistry or Biology (Snr.
Scientist Writer)
* Five years of technical writing experience, at least three of which
involve documenting end-user applications
* Experience with task-oriented documentation
* Experience with creating context-sensitive online help (WinHelp)

Desired Qualifications:

* Coursework or experience in the physical or computer sciences
* Experience with RoboHelp, HTML, and FrameMaker
* Laboratory research experience (Snr. Scientist Writer)

Please contact:

Trevor Grayling,
Manager of Technical Communications,
MDL Information Systems, Inc.