Need tips on validating procedures manuals

Subject: Need tips on validating procedures manuals
From: Richard Feldman <rfeldman -at- CAMBER -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 08:59:33 -0700

I have been preparing separate maintenance and operator/user's manuals for
a flight simulator/training device manufactured to spec by my company. The
simulator has been installed, in use, and periodically modified further
since last summer at the customer's facility in a different state. With
the contractually specified due date for the delivery of the manuals to the
customer imminent, I have been asked to go out to the customer's facility
and validate both the operation and maintenance manuals, i.e., confirm that
everything that I wrote was there and was called this or that really is
there and called this or that, and that the procedures do what they are
supposed to and are complete.

I certainly understand the overall concept of what I'm supposed to do, but
would feel more comfortable if I were working with a better defined
framework. I realize that in a better managed world, I would not be
charged with principal responsibility for the validation of my own work;
however, the world is as it is, and I have been given the responsibility.
Do any of you have experience validating software or hardware procedures or
other documentation? Do any of you know of some sort of validation process
template or framework that you can either send me or point me towards?

This query has a certain urgency as I fly out to the customer's site
tomorrow. I am asking for help on such short notice because it was only
this weekend that it occurred to me that members of this list might have
relevant experiences. Please send responses directly to my e-mail address;
I would be interested in all relevant information even if I don't receive
it till after I return from my validation trip. Thanks in advance.

Richard

Richard Feldman, Technical Writer
Camber Corp. Simulation Systems Division
5550 Midway Park Place, Albuquerque, NM 87109 e-mail: rfeldman -at- camber -dot- com
PH: (505) 345-9959, X204 FX: (505) 343-0766