Re: Advise for beginers

Subject: Re: Advise for beginers
From: "Engstrom, Douglas D." <EngstromDD -at- PHIBRED -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 1998 11:25:40 -0600

Randy:

This is written in response to:

>I have always thought that tech writing seemed like an interesting
>field. Of course, the most difficult part of entering any new field of
>work is getting the first one or two jobs, after that, if you do good
>work, it gets a lot easier. So tell me (Please) what are your
>suggestions, experiences and thoughts on what works the best to get
>those first one or two jobs. I've got the basics ( location, Dallas -Ft.
>Worth, education, and past work history, but not tech, writing). Some
>day I'll do the same for someone else.

"How do I get started in Tech Writing?" I asked that same question
myself slightly more than ten years ago, when I was trying to turn a
Journalism degree and some Air Force public affairs experience into an
entry to the glamorous and high-paid world of technical communication.
:)

For what they're worth, here are my suggestions, based on that
experience and subsequent job hunts:

1) Join STC (Society for Technical Communication) and avail yourself of
the following services:

* Attend local chapter meetings faithfully. Meet people, talk about
their jobs and companies. Find out who is growing, even if they are not
necessarily hiring at the moment. Maintain close tabs on growing
companies that you like; make sure they know you're available, but don't
beat them over the head with it. When openings come up, you'll be among
the first to know, and their comfort level with you will be higher
because you're a "known face."

* Check out the STC on-line job postings at http://stc.org/jobs.html

* Get to know the job bank coordinator in your local chapter and the
chapters in cities you want to live in.

* If you are interested in a nationwide job search, attend the
international conference. There is usually both a jobs booth and
companies actively interviewing.

* For membership info, visit the Web site at http://stc.org/ or write
STC headquarters at stc -at- stc-va -dot- org

2) Check out your college. If they have a job placement service for
graduates, get into it. If they have a job bank newsletter, subscribe.
If your college is large, separate departments may have separate
services; get in touch with the one that handles technical communicators
(usually English or Journalism).

3) Scope out smaller companies. My first job was with a 12-person
agricultural software developer. I was the first and only technical
writer. Scary, but a great start. Smaller companies often can't be as
picky about whom they hire as "first tier" employers.

Unfortunately, this also usually means the pay is lower, benefits are
skimpy and security is not as great BUT you usually get a great
opportunity to handle a wide variety of tasks and chart your own course.
If your economic situation allows (i.e. no children or major debts) a
good small company can be a great place to start. (Side benefit: If you
can participate though an ESOP or other stock plan and the company takes
off like a rocket, you can do very nicely. My retirement accounts are
much fatter than they would otherwise be, thanks to the
timely sale of a former employer.)

It sounds like you're really on top of things and have taken a strong
"proactive" approach to your career. Sooner or later (and I predict
sooner rather than later) you will find what you are looking for.