Re: TECHWR-L Digest - 12 Jan 1998 to 13 Jan 1998

Subject: Re: TECHWR-L Digest - 12 Jan 1998 to 13 Jan 1998
From: Don Smith <dsmith -at- ACCESSBEYOND -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 09:15:09 -0500

Bruce Byfield wrote (in part):

>To these users, commands are magical spells, and their notebooks are
like a sorcerer's grimoire, full of unystematic notes about how to get
specific results, but with little overview or understanding of the
processes involved.<

I wonder, Bruce, if these are people who grew up in schools that taught
arithmetic with a handy-dandy-calculator, because it is a waste of time
teaching multiplication tables anymore. "They don't need to know them."
I guess we don't need to know. I guess we don't have to know our "numbers",
but we sure have to know which "button" to push. (To get the "magic" we
need?)

Ah progress!

Don

(MOO)