Re: Data are vs Data is

Subject: Re: Data are vs Data is
From: Michael Lewis <lewism -at- BRANDLE -dot- COM -dot- AU>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 14:39:56 +1100

Jack McKay wrote:

> ... In the world of computers,
> "data is" has taken over, whatever those of us who know Latin might think.
> If you're writing computer manuals, grit your teeth and use "data is", or
> you will mark yourself as pretentious.
>
> On the other hand, if you're writing for audiences a bit more sophisticated
> -- such as the sciences -- then feel free to use "data are", though even
> here (I'm a physicist) that is beginning to sound stilted.

"Data", like "media", now has an accepted usage as a collective noun.
However, if you're uncomfortable with either "data is" (because you
think it's wrong) or "data are" (because you think it's pretentious),
you can usually find easy ways of avoiding the problem. For example,
refer to "the collection of data" (singular) or "items / elements of
data" (plural).

> I am reluctant to permit the general public to set grammatical standards. I
> will never yield, for example, on "lie" vs. "lay", no matter how many
> people confuse the two. But "data are/is" is a battle which has been lost,
> at least in the field of computers.

I sympathise with your reluctance, but the simple fact is that the
language belongs to the general public, not to us "experts" (or should
that be "we experts", as in "we [who are] experts"?) People who know the
difference between "lie" and"lay" can use them appropriately, but the
chances are that few of our readers will notice (or understand) the
difference. And surely, as communicators, we should be meeting the
audience's needs before our own.
--
Michael Lewis
Brandle Pty Limited, Sydney, Australia