Re: proposals and requirement/specification docs

Subject: Re: proposals and requirement/specification docs
From: Michael Lewis <lewism -at- BRANDLE -dot- COM -dot- AU>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 10:49:30 +1100

@ wrote:

> This may be a dumb question but can anyone tell me if
> proposals are related to requirement or specification documents?

Depends on a few things. If you are putting up a proposal in response to
a "Request for Proposal / Request for Tender" (RFP / RFT), that document
will include lots of requirements, and your proposal won't score any
points if it doesn't relate directly to those requirements. In more
general situations, you don't produce a proposal just because you feel
like it: there must be something to tell you what the prospective client
wants.

Specifications are often a subset of requirements: there's a chance that
the client has specific requirements. However, normally specs relate to
what you are proposing rather than what the client wants -- your specs
(subset of your proposal) willindicate that what you are proposing does
meet the client's detailed requirements.
--
Michael Lewis
Brandle Pty Limited, Sydney, Australia