Subject: TECHWR-L archives
From: "Ridder, Fred" <F -dot- Ridder -at- DIALOGIC -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 1998 10:39:34 -0500

25% of the messages posted to TECHWR-L on Saturday (yeah, it was only
two messages, but that was still a quarter of the day's traffic)
commented
about the writer's inability to search the TECHWR-L archives.

John Prince wrote:
I apologize if this has been brought up before...but I am having
trouble
searching the archives.

Keith Bennett wrote:
I've tried to reach the
archives of this list serve and I keep getting an error message.

In the interest of public service, I'd like to point out that there are
multiple
archives of the list on different servers with totally different
software running
them. If you don't get the results you need on one archive website,
please
try one of the others before you complain to the list.

The Oklahoma State archive (the primary one) does seem to have a very
flaky search engine. In all the times I tried to use it--before I
learned to
simply use a different archive if I need to search on a topic--I think I

succeeded perhaps twice. But the OK State archive is perfectly
functional
if you want to _browse_ the list traffic or follow a particular thread
as long
as you know the time frame you're interested in. I use it very
frequently
to read the list in semi-real-time when there is an interesting thread
running
rather than only reading the postings the following morning in the
digest I
receive by e-mail.

But if I actually need to search the list archive, I always turn to the
archive
at the http://www.documentation.com website. This archive has only
failed
on me once (a server problem that was fixed by the next day), and I find
the search engine to be both powerful and fast.

Fred Ridder (mailto:f -dot- ridder -at- dialogic -dot- com)
Senior Technical Writer
Dialogic Corporation, Parsippany, NJ

And to keep our marketing people happy:
Get the Dialogic Edge at: http://www.dialogic.com