Re: Telecommuting conversation, continued

Subject: Re: Telecommuting conversation, continued
From: John Posada <posada -at- FAXSAV -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 1998 11:55:45 -0500

Joanne...I think you are close to right. My take would be that since for all intents and purposes telecommuting as we know it is a rather new development, a major percentage of tech pub managers were not writers when that option was available.

It's going to take awhile before the numbers shift.

John Posada, Technical Writer (and proud of the title)
The world's premier Internet fax service company: The FaxSav Global Network
-work http://www.faxsav.com -personal http://www.tdandw.com
-work mailto:posada -at- faxsav -dot- com -personal mailto:john -at- tdandw -dot- com
-work phone: 732-906-2000 X2296 -home phone: 732-291-7811
My opinions are mine, and neither you nor my company can take credit for them.

HEY! Are you coming to the NJ TechWriter lunch? So far, about 10
of us are. Ask me about it.

I read the posts about telecommuting in the archives (I'm new to this list).
According to those posts, the reason telecommuting isn't catching on is
because managers don't know enough about technology or are concerned about
control.

This seems strange to me because I'd expect most tech pubs managers to be
former writers, who would be very familiar with technology. So, is that not
true? Have most tech pubs managers come from disciplines other than tech
writing?

Joanne Vinton
jvinton -at- teleport -dot- com