Re: Contractors of Questionable Ability

Subject: Re: Contractors of Questionable Ability
From: SLSTAGGS <slstaggs -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 1998 14:25:04 -0500

First post. I'm Susan Staggs. I do independent training and tech writing
consulting in Dallas. Nice to be here.

<<How does a contractor generally indicate that they "understand your
business?">>

Ideally, by delighting them on a previous assignment. For a first assignment,
by showing them previous work you've done for clients in the same industry (as
appropriate, of course). I don't consider "understanding of the business" a
must-have for successful documentation consulting. Management consulting,
different story. With documentation, I find that most clients are more
concerned with seeing what you've done in the past and feeling comfortable that
you have the ability to successfully manage the project. I talk more about my
own approach to the task than I do about the client's business, although of
course, providing evidence of business knowledge is always a plus.

<<- If the contract is on an hourly basis, and the deliverable is late (for
whatever reason), how do you determine who pays for the extra time?>>

By determining why it's taking extra time and billing accordingly.
Communication is the key whenever you deviate from your estimate. This should
be a non-issue if the project is managed closely and your communication with
the client is ongoing.

A related issue that I sometimes have is determining when to officially
document something as a scope change and when to just roll with the punches. In
general, I adapt my management style to the client's. If they're formal, I
document everything. If they're not, I don't. When in doubt, I err on the side
of the client and eat the time. But I'd be interested in how other's do it.

<<- If the deliverables fail to meet the client's standards of quality, is the
onus for meeting those standards on the contractor?>>

Legally, it depends on the terms of the contract. Practically, it's different
for every project and depends on what you mean by "standards of quality." All
successful independent contractors I KNOW take it upon themselves to meet the
client's expectations. Of course, managing expectations is important...

<< How do you allow for unrealistic standards on the client's part? Does the
contractor have the responsibility for setting the quality standards
up-front?>>

I warrant contractually that I have the ability to do the work to my client's
satisfaction. Anything more specific than that I spell out later unless it's an
explicit part of the contract.

Susan