Re: The Writer's Kit

Subject: Re: The Writer's Kit
From: Michael Lewis <lewism -at- BRANDLE -dot- COM -dot- AU>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 1998 14:53:14 +1100

Bruce Byfield wrote:

> However, the other side of the issue is: what do writers need in order
> to make a living in today's market. In other words, what skills should
> you have ready at any time, and what allows you to deliver the finished
> work in the expected time?

In terms of software use skills, I think we need two things: an
understanding of the principles behind DTP or high-end WP, and solid
experience with one or two relevant products. (Believe it or not, I
include MS Word in that category.) From there, you can make educated
guesses about where to find key commands or features. IMO, unless you're
a dedicated and virtually fulltime user of one product, you'll always
need to make those educated guesses about the things you don't do very
often; I think most of us are in that position with a few products, and
we can reach the same position with an unfamiliar product in only a few
days.
--
Michael Lewis
Brandle Pty Limited, Sydney, Australia