Re: Publications Plans

Subject: Re: Publications Plans
From: Beth Agnew <bagnew -at- INSYSTEMS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 1998 12:33:55 -0500

I think some of the reluctance to submit publication plans for Garret's
persual stems from the highly personal and individual nature of these
plans. I've used them for years, and over those years have adapted, tested
and refined my techniques until I have a system that works for me, and
ultimately the companies that employ me. These plans represent my years of
experience, and my unique skills and talents, as well as some lessons I've
learned the hard way. Yes, I want to help other techwriters, but the
publication plans I use for various projects are my intellectual property.
I'm reluctant to just give them away. (I wouldn't give you a copy of a
successful bid or proposal, either, unless I had first stripped it down to
remove my "trade secrets".)

Too, I could give you a foolproof plan, but unless you have the skills to
carry it out, and handle any deviations that arise, it's not going to help
you. In fact, your client might well wonder if you're the same person who
created that plan. Plans are really living documents that often have to be
revised as a project develops.

Hackos has a good sample plan in her book "Managing your Documentation
Projects". Any particular plan is adapted from a generic model based on
the requirements of the project. The exercise of building the plan is
valuable time spent on a project because you investigate the parameters and
learn the scope of the job as you put together the plan. I don't think you
can, or should, short-cut that effort.

However, for the determined, I can send you a template that can get you
started.
--Beth

Beth Agnew
Senior Technical Writer, InSystems Technologies Inc.
65 Allstate Parkway, Suite 100 Tel: (905) 513-1400 ext. 280
Markham, Ontario, Canada L3R 9X1 Fax: (905) 513-1419
mailto:bagnew -at- insystems -dot- com Visit us at: http://www.insystems.com

See my friendly face at:
http://www.bayside.net/users/cbsites/techwr-l/a.htm#agnewb