Re: Thesis Topic

Subject: Re: Thesis Topic
From: Elna Tymes <etymes -at- LTS -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 1998 13:30:58 -0800

Damien-
> What I would like (possibly from those who have done something similar) are
> some ideas for a more "theoretical" thesis subject.

This field is in real need for a numbers-based study showing how people
use what we create when they're trying to learn how to use a tool. By
"numbers-based," I'm talking about a statistically defensible study,
something that can be published in an academic journal and then used as
a reference by the rest of us when dealing with engineering and
marketing people who question the value of documentation. My working
hypothesis, which has had a lot of anecdotal support but thus far no
statistically defensible studies, is that people in general approach
learning a new tool in the following ways:

1. They try to figure it out by experimenting with it on their own.
2. If they have had previous successful experience with an online Help
system, and they know that one comes with this tool, they'll look at the
online Help.
3. If not, or they are still stuck, they turn to a friend. (Some
people call this the "Hey, Joe!" phenomenon.)
4. They MAY open the manual and glance through the TOC or index,
looking for specific help. Note that this is NOT the same as "reading
the manual."
5. If that doesn't work, they pick up the phone and call whatever
passes for a Help facility, even if that means sitting on the Micro$oft
line for up to an hour.
6. If that doesn't work and they're still motivated, they go looking
for training materials or for third-party books on the tool.
7. Only if all of the above fail do most users actually read the
manual. There are, of course, specific exceptions.

HOWEVER, it should be noted that most users regard software that doesn't
come with a manual as incomplete or not credible. In other words, there
has to be a manual for people to believe that they can actually use the
tool.

Anecdotal evidence, it must be stressed, is not to be trusted as
indicative of true trends. It falls under the heading of "everybody
knows that..." which most of us have discovered can be quite
misleading. So a statistically defensible study would settle this issue
quite nicely.

Elna Tymes
Los Trancos Systems