Re: First day advice.

Subject: Re: First day advice.
From: John Posada <posada -at- FAXSAV -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 1997 13:31:59 -0500

>>Be sure that everything you write at work, no matter how small or seemingly
insignificant, is correct, complete, clear, accurate, and grammatically
correct. Also, be aware that you never know who might read it and therefore,
whom it might affect.<<

Note of Caution here.

In the real world, as much as I'd like to believe that this were not so, regardless of the pre-planning and efforts, you don't always have the time to do things perfect. Sometimes, what should take a day to turnaround gets bogged down to the point that to make it PERFECT would take many times longer than that.

This is where experience comes in. You've heard the saying: "Good, Fast, Cheap" Which two do you want?

Keep the amount of effort in perspective. Sometimes getting something out into the user's hands 98% perfect is better than 99% perfect still on your hard drive. Missing a million dollar proposal deadline because you wanted to make sure it was PERFECT is not acceptable Vs meeting the deadline with three typos.

You need to juggle all the factors, and deadlines/commitments are just as big a factor as spelling and grammar.

John Posada, Technical Writer (and proud of the title)
The world's premier Internet fax service company: The FaxSav Global Network
-work http://www.faxsav.com -personal http://www.tdandw.com
-work mailto:posada -at- faxsav -dot- com -personal mailto:john -at- tdandw -dot- com
-work phone: 732-906-2000 X2296 -home phone: 732-291-7811
My opinions are mine, and neither you nor my company can take credit for them.

HEY! Are you coming to the NJ TechWriter lunch? So far, about 10
of us are. Ask me about it.