Re: Computer rights

Subject: Re: Computer rights
From: Smokey Lynne L Bare <slbare -at- JUNO -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 17:37:50 -0500

...for your review...

Some books which you can get on the subject are:

Make It Legal - ISBN 0-927629-08-9

Patent, Copyright, and Trademark - Intellectual Property Law - ISBN
0-87337-236-0

National Writers Union Guide to Freelance Rates & Standard Practice
ISBN 0-9644-208-0-5

Article - Inventing and Patenting Sourcebook by R. C. Levy

If you think about it, the first time the material is in the library, any
person can copy it. If it is used for educational purposes it falls
under 'fair use' laws. Otherwise, copiers would not be allowed in
library research rooms. This issue came up recently with the
introduction of a library interlink service being designed in my state.
General counsel spoke on this issue in reference to copying materials
(print) vs copying online (web) materials. What was legal and what was
not was covered in depth. Each state has a specialized 'group' or
association, which deals with copyright and patent litigation. Perhaps
TCs could ask for a copy of their dispute resolution reviews. I am sure
it is being covered in our subscribers home states as well as mine.

Perhaps the original question could have been defined with a bit more
specificity as to the scope or statement of purpose of the article, as
well as the target audience. Writing in generalities can't always
provide the best answer for a particular problem. Our area has had two
attorneys talk on this subject, and dragging out my notes, just
double-checking, concurred with the previous attorney-relayed message.

Again, their calls, not mine, as they are the SMEs.