Interns @ $10 an Hour

Subject: Interns @ $10 an Hour
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- AXIONET -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 1997 18:39:41 -0500

In answer to various comments made on this subject (my apologies for not
quoting exactly):

Comment:Why should a company pay a living wage?

A: Common decency. Or, if that's not good enough for you, how about
winning loyalty?

Comment: $10 an hour is a good wage for an intern. Lots of college
students would be glad of it.

A: The point is not whether people would be glad of it, but what the
work is actually worth.

If the intern is genuinely given a chance to learn and receives some
semi-formal lessons, then $10 might be acceptable.

On the other hand, if the intern is just a cheaper pair of hand, and is
basically doing work for which a full-fledged writer would be paid three
times the amount, then the company fully deserves condemnation.

I will now lead the choir in a round of "Solidarity Forever." Please
rise. :-)

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
(bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com) (604) 421-7189

So I'll walk the plank
And I'll jump with a smile
If I'm gonna go down
I'm gonna do it with style."