Re: Interns@ $10 an hour

Subject: Re: Interns@ $10 an hour
From: JIMCHEVAL <JIMCHEVAL -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 22:03:26 EST

In a message dated 97-12-12 18:00:41 EST, ejray -at- RAYCOMM -dot- COM writes:

<<
At 02:44 PM 12/11/97 -0700, John Eldard wrote:
>I think $10 an hour is not bad for an Intern >>
It's hilarious as an actor to see people in the 'real' world quail at this
rate. I can't count the highly educated actors I know who work for $8-10 an
hour doing temp work and would be delighted to get some training in the
bargain.

Certainly, I'd agree that part of your payment as an intern is learning and
getting some credibility for future employers. I'm certainly glad that my
first job as a programmer was writing a manual (in French) even though that
'wasn't my job."

And when I was an intern (as a computer analyst), I didn't get paid AT ALL
first time around. Also, my first job in radio was unpaid - but it was my
ticket to all the others.

None of us, no matter what our age or experience, should under-estimate the
value of simply getting good experience and good contacts.

Jim C.
Los Angeles
Currently swamped
Visit Chez Jim: Jim Chevallier's Home Page - http://www.gis.com/~jimcheval