Re: (3 of 3) Are there more good tech writing lists?

Subject: Re: (3 of 3) Are there more good tech writing lists?
From: Ken Reigner <cbs -at- ACCESS -dot- DIGEX -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 01:18:57 -0500

Dear Mr. Rhodes:

This is Part 3 of a three-part posting about the many Internet-based
mailing lists aimed at writers. Because of posting length restrictions on
cover.

MAGWRITE, the Magazine Writers Discussion List, helps published and
unpublished free-lance magazine writers find markets, brainstorm on
articles and share their thoughts on all aspects of magazine writing. To
subscribe, send e-mail to LISTSERV -at- MAELSTROM -dot- STJOHNS -dot- EDU, and in the
*body* of the message, put just the line "SUBscribe MAGWRITE your-name"
(without the quotation marks).

NERDNOSH is a virtual campfire, where writers from around the world
post stories about their lives. To subscribe, send e-mail to
MAJORDOMO -at- STORY -dot- NERDNOSH -dot- ORG, and in the *body* of the message, put just
the line "SUBscribe NERDNOSH" (without the quotation marks).

NEWSLIB provides an electronic forum where news librarians,
cybrarians, online researchers, media archivists, mass media
bibliographers, reporters and journalism educators can discuss topics
relevant to their professions. To subscribe, send e-mail to
LISTPROC -at- RIPKEN -dot- OIT -dot- UNC -dot- EDU, and in the *body* of the message, put just
the line "SUBscribe NEWSLIB your-name" (without the quotation marks).

NICAR-L is a discussion of how to do news investigations and
computer-assisted reporting. To subscribe, send e-mail to
LISTPROC -at- LISTS -dot- MISSOURI -dot- EDU, and in the *body* of the message, put just
the line "SUBscribe NICAR-L your-name" (without the quotation marks).

NPPA-L is the National Press Photographers Association's list. To
subscribe, send e-mail to LISTSERV -at- CMUVM -dot- CSV -dot- CMICH -dot- EDU, and in the *body*
of the message, put just the line "SUBscribe NPPA-L your-name" (without
the quotation marks).

The National Writers Union sponsors two mailing lists, NWU-CHAT and
NWU-ISSUES.

NWU-CHAT is a general discussion list focusing on the publishing
industry, the business and art of writing, the electronic media, the labor
movement and NWU internal affairs. In contrast with NWU-ISSUES, NWU-CHAT
focuses less on politics and diversity and more on writing for a living
and on union activities. To subscribe, send e-mail to MAJORDOMO -at- NWU -dot- ORG,
and in the *body* of the message, put just the line "SUBscribe NWU-CHAT"
(without the quotation marks).

NWU-ISSUES is an issues-oriented list, many of whose subscribers are
writers of color or are in the lesbian/gay/bisexual/transgendered
community. NWU-ISSUES focuses on freedom of speech, copyright law, labor
action, national and local elections, challenges of diversity and
protecting published work against retaliation. To subscribe, send e-mail
to MAJORDOMO -at- NWU -dot- ORG, and in the *body* of the message, put just the line
"SUBscribe NWU-ISSUES" (without the quotation marks).

ONLINE-NEWS covers on-line newspapers and magazines and general
journalism. To subscribe, send e-mail to MAJORDOMO -at- PLANETARYNEWS -dot- COM and
in the *body* of the message, put just the line "SUBscribe ONLINE-NEWS"
(without the quotation marks).

PMA-L is the Publishers Marketing Association Forum. To subscribe,
send e-mail to LISTSERV -at- SHRSYS -dot- HSLC -dot- ORG, and in the *body* of the message,
put just the line "SUBscribe PMA-L your-name" (without the quotation
marks).

PRFORUM features discussion of public relations and corporate
communications for academics and professionals. To subscribe, send e-mail
to LISTSERV -at- LISTSERV -dot- IUPUI -dot- EDU, and in the *body* of the message, put just
the line "SUBscribe PRFORUM your-name" (without the quotation marks).

SCRIBE-LIST is a resource for writers' issues, including self-
publishing and ghostwriting. To subscribe, send e-mail to
SCRIBE-LIST-REQUEST -at- BELLICOSE -dot- COM, and in the *subject line* put
"SUBSCRIBE" (without the quotation marks).

SEDIT-L, the Scholarly Editing Forum, serves the editors of U.S.
literary and documentary editions, including the writings, correspondence
and other documents of major American historical figures. To subscribe,
send e-mail to LISTSERV -at- UMDD -dot- UMD -dot- EDU, and in the *body* of the message,
put just the line "SUBscribe SEDIT-L your-name" (without the quotation
marks).

SHOPTALK is a daily newsletter about the television industry, with a
focus on TV News. To subscribe, send e-mail to LISTSERV -at- LISTSERV -dot- SYR -dot- EDU,
and in the *body* of the message, put just the line "SUBscribe SHOPTALK
your-name" (without the quotation marks).

SPJ-L is the Society of Professional Journalists' list. To subscribe,
send e-mail to LISTSERV -at- PSUVM -dot- PSU -dot- EDU, and in the *body* of the message,
put just the line "SUBscribe SPJ-L your-name" (without the quotation
marks).

TVIDEA is a forum for television writers, producers, reporters and
editors to exchange story ideas. To subscribe, send e-mail to
MAJORDOMO -at- INDRA -dot- COM, and in the *body* of the message, put just the line
"SUBscribe TVIDEA" (without the quotation marks).

TVTALK focuses on television discussions, issues and writing. To
subscribe, send e-mail to MAJORDOMO -at- INDRA -dot- COM, and in the *body* of the
message, put just the line "SUBscribe TVTALK" (without the quotation
marks).

WRITELAB (The Writing Lab) offers bi-weekly fiction writing
exercises. After four weeks in WriteLab, you may also apply to one or more
of the topics designed to assist the aspiring novelist: PlotLab, SceneLab,
DraftLab, NovelsLab and MarketLab. To subscribe, send e-mail to
LISTSERV -at- LISTS -dot- PSU -dot- EDU, and in the *body* of the message, put just the
line "SUBscribe WRITELAB your-name" (without the quotation marks).

WRITERS is a general discussion list for professional writers and
those who aspire to write. To subscribe, send e-mail to
LISTSERV -at- MITVMA -dot- MIT -dot- EDU, and in the *body* of the message, put just the
line "SUBscribe WRITERS your-name" (without the quotation marks).

WRITERS is a list focusing on writing. To subscribe, send e-mail to
SERVER -at- COLA -dot- QIS -dot- NET, and in the *body* of the message, put just the words
"JOIN WRITERS" (without the quotation marks).

WRITERS-CLUB describes itself as information, motivation and
inspiration for every writer. The list features many sites that require
access to America Online. To subscribe, send e-mail to
LISTSERV -at- LISTSERV -dot- AOL -dot- COM, and in the *body* of the message, put just the
line "SUBscribe WRITERS-CLUB your-name" (without the quotation marks).

WRITEWAY is a list for beginning and veteran professional writers. To
subscribe, send e-mail to MAJORDOMO -at- USERHOME -dot- COM, and in the *body* of the
message, put just the line "SUBscribe WRITEWAY" (without the quotation
marks).

WRITINGCHAT is a list where writers can gather and get to know one
another, exchange ideas and share their view of the writing life and life
in general. To subscribe, send e-mail to MAJORDOMO -at- BEL-EPA -dot- COM, and in the
*body* of the message, put just the line "SUBscribe WRITINGCHAT" (without
the quotation marks).

WRITING WORKSHOP is a collection of 12 mailing lists where writers
can critique works in progress, share information and discuss various
aspects of writing. Besides a general writing list, the lists include
fiction, non-fiction, novels, poetry, scriptwriting, children/young
adults, nature, prose/flash fiction, romance, feminist literature and teen
writers. To subscribe, send e-mail to LISTSERV -at- LISTS -dot- PSU -dot- EDU, and in the
*body* of the message, put just the line "SUBscribe WRITERS your-name"
(without the quotation marks).

To locate other mailing lists of interest, point your World Wide Web
browser at Liszt < http://www.liszt.com > or Tile.Net
< http://www.tile.net >.

I hope you find the information above helpful. If I can be of any
further assistance, please let me know.

Sincerely,

Ken Reigner

--
Ken Reigner cbs -at- digex -dot- net
Chairman, Technology Committee wiw-l-request -at- cmuvm -dot- csv -dot- cmich -dot- edu