Re: Microsoft Help Compiler Problem

Subject: Re: Microsoft Help Compiler Problem
From: "Ridder, Fred (by way of Hareesh Kumar K N <hari -at- cisco -dot- com>)" <F -dot- Ridder -at- DIALOGIC -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 1997 12:22:58 +0500

The mismatched bracket issue you describe can certainly be the cause
of compilation problems, but the byte offset is quite different. The
error
message indicates that the error is _located at_ a byte offset of X
bytes
from the start of the file. If you're clever enough and/or persistent
enough
and/or compulsive enough to translate the byte offset into a character
count and then count that number of characters into the file, you should

find the actual cause of the problem. A byte offset is not the cause of
compilation problem, nor is it "caused by" anything in your file; it is
simply a piece of information that is being supplied to you to help you
find the problem. Some general indication of the problem's cause is
encoded in the numerical error code, and there are presumably specific
codes that indicate mismatched brackets or the presence of a special
character, since these are very common types of errors.

Fred Ridder (mailto:f -dot- ridder -at- dialogic -dot- com)
Senior Technical Writer
Dialogic Corporation, Parsippany, NJ

And to keep our marketing people happy:
Get the Dialogic Edge at: http://www.dialogic.com