Re: Plain Language

Subject: Re: Plain Language
From: Sean Fitzpatrick <Sean -dot- Fitzpatrick -at- SMED -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 1997 19:13:10 -0500

A related movement is e' (e-prime). Their hobby horse is to avoid the use of
the verb "to be", even in speech. It is not clear to me why, exactly, though I
gather that practitioners believe that the copulative verb is too promiscuous
for clarity . Practitioners claim it makes language clearer. I'm not an
advocate, but I have tried it and found that it certainly forces you to think
about what you are saying.

Calling it e' is certainly appropriate, since it certainly isn't idiomatic
English.

Sorry, I do not have any references.

Sean Fitzpatrick
For E bloody G:
A related movement, e' (e-prime), avoids or eliminates the use of the verb "to
be", even in speech. I don't understand why, though I gather that
practitioners believe that promiscuous use of the copulative verb reduces
clarity and sometimes even fudges the truth. Practitioners claim it makes
language clearer. I do not advocate it, but I have tried it and found that it
certainly forces you to think about what you say.

*