Re: FrontPage 98 Beta Frustrations

Subject: Re: FrontPage 98 Beta Frustrations
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher -at- EXPERSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 1997 11:57:05 -0800

At 11:12 AM 12/2/97 PST, Cheryle Wiese wrote:
>Hi Techwhirlers,
>
>I'm in danger of either pulling all of my hair out, or tossing my
>monitor through the window, so here's my cry for help:
<snip>
>I'm encountering a lot of problems...
>When I make changes to the code (like deleting
>even making *my* HTML additions in ALL CAPS (I prefer doing this as it
>sets the tags apart from the text) FrontPage ignores my changes and
>reverts back to it's own ugly code. (Yes, I hit the "save" button.)
>
>I've never used an HTML editor before, and am not sure that I like it.

Well, I haven't used Front Page yet, but I've looked at HoTMetaL and
Netscape Composer and no, it's not just Front Page; they *all* do that.
<sigh> See, I'm sighing now. When I tried them, my reaction was closer
to <@*$%#>!

If you're just converting Word docs, the cleanest translation I've seen
is from HTML Transit. Other than that it turns fonts on and off for
no apparent reason (<FONT> text text text </FONT>), it produces
pretty good, clean HTML -- no </P>, no turning lists on and off to
screw up numbering, no extra bold or italic codes, no sticking spaces
in where they don't belong.

I thought it'd be pretty nice to have an HTML editor -- see codes in
color, flip over to wysiwyg mode and back again... Boy was I wrong!
Call me a geek if you must. I'll stick with WordPad. %-\

-Sue Gallagher http://pw1.netcom.com/~gscale/susanwg/
sgallagher -at- expersoft -dot- com http://www.expersoft.com

The _Guide_ is definitive.
Reality is frequently inaccurate. --Douglas Adams