TECH: Can Acrobat replace WinHlp32.exe?

Subject: TECH: Can Acrobat replace WinHlp32.exe?
From: "Snowden, Jim @Cimage" <jims -at- CIMAGE -dot- CO -dot- UK>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 1997 09:18:00 -0000

Acrobat can be used to display context sensitive help. You can open a
PDF document at specific pages/bookmarks, but you need to buy some kind
of plugin to do it. You could also do it using the Acrobat
developer's kit from Adobe.

I asked a similar question on the acrobat listserv a while ago and got
this reply:
>This may seem like a basic question and something that you should be
able to
>do, but it isn't. We are looking into a plug-in from DigiDox called
PDF

(that's www.digidox.com, now taken over by Adobe).
>The trial version worked just fine, but it is VERY expensive, not
something
>you would personally buy, but your company might consider if you want
to use
>Acrobat as context-sensitive help.

I asked digidox the price back in June ...
>Thank you for your interest in DigiDox, Jim.
>We will provide PDF Extender on an unlimited distribution,
non-exclusive,
>perpetual license for the current version
>for $5,000.00.

Also, I was told you can do it from programs by looking at this article
(on Adobe's
web site):
>The easiest way to tell Acrobat to go to a specific page from another
>application is using inter-application communications (IAC). The
>Macintosh uses AppleEvents and Windows use OLE. The relevant
information
>can be found in the "Acrobat Viewer Interapplication Communication
>On-Line Reference" from Adobe. It is also referred to as Technical
Note
>#5165.

Jim Snowden
Cimage Enterprise Systems