Re: Word 97 bug - help please

Subject: Re: Word 97 bug - help please
From: Jane Bergen <janeber -at- CYBERRAMP -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 1997 19:30:27 -0600

At 03:52 PM 11/28/97 GMT, John Cornellier wrote:
>I have a 57-page book, all text, with sections, in Word 97/8. SR-1 installed,
>checked for viruses.
>
>When I do Select All and then hit F9 to update all fields I find that a
section
>or page break has been inserted - in the middle of a field
cross-referencing to
>a title.
>
>Anyone got a solution? Please do not suggest that I use some non-Microsoft
>product instead. I need a short-term solution.

John, that's probably not a bug. Check the paragraph style just above the
title. I'd bet it's got the same style as your title. Or, sometimes, Word
fails to get a good paragraph break just before it.

To fix your problem,

1. Add a paragraph break in the section just above the title. Make sure
that you apply a style like Normal or Body Text. (You may have to reapply
the style for the Title itself)

2. Delete the bad cross-reference and recreate (re-reference) it.

You should be back in business.

Jane Bergen

Jane Bergen, Technical Writer
AnswerSoft, Inc. Richardson, TX