Re: Request for research help

Subject: Re: Request for research help
From: Sean Fitzpatrick <Sean -dot- Fitzpatrick -at- SMED -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 15:06:16 -0500

I've been through cycles of fussiness. For a while at IBM, we changed our
log-on password every 6 weeks. Eventually that was extended to 6 months. Of
course the company went into the tank shortly thereafter, but the connection
was never proven beyond a reasonable doubt.

What reasons are there for having a second-party authorization?
--the first person isn't really competent to do the work or make the decision
--the resource is so sensitive that it is necessary to restrict access
--it is easy to make a mistake and difficult to recover from one, so double
checking is necessary.

The trend in business now-a-days is to devolve authority downward. What
mishaps does the second authorization prevent, what are the probabilities of
them happening, how severe would be the consequences and how hard would it be
to recover, and what does second authorization say about your job descriptions
and employees?

Sean Fitzpatrick
Shared Medical Systems, Malvern, PA

*