Re: Research interviewing tips

Subject: Re: Research interviewing tips
From: Penny Staples <pstaples -at- AIRWIRE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 09:17:26 -0600

Regarding interviewing to get information:

Some Subject Matter Experts can and will write stuff
up themselves and give it to you -- this is always nice,
although you'll still have to talk to them usually, to
ask for clarification on what they wrote. Other Subject
Matter Experts can't (or won't) write to save their lives.
They are usually wonderful at the other aspects
of their jobs -- but if you wait for them to write a draft for
you, you'll be waiting a verrry long time. And you'll have
to nag them to get it. Makes for a hostile working
relationship, when ideally, what you need is a partnership.
You'll get much better results from these people by
interviewing them. Here are my interviewing tips:

1. Find out as much as you can before you interview.
If there are specs, white papers, or prototypes, learn as
much as you can from them. Don't waste a SME's time
by asking questions that you could *easily* have answered
yourself, with a little work. You'll gain more technical
expertise, and get more respect.

2. Find out what the SME's area of expertise/authority is.
Make sure you're interviewing the right person.

3. Identify what you need to know and why you need to
know it. I don't always go in with prepared questions, but I
always know what I'm trying to find out.

4. Get the SME to read your draft after you finish it.
They'll spot things you've misunderstood or missed.
I've also used this when I know that I don't have complete
info and am having trouble connecting with the SME --
I write up what I do know, and hand it off to the SME
for comment.

For example, this week I've been working on writing instructions.
The audience is factory personnel who will be assembling a
particular product for our company. They need instructions on
how to assemble our product.

For the Assembly instructions, I started on my own, with the
Parts List. So I already knew what all of the components were.
I needed the SME to show me what other tools you need
(screwdrivers, etc), and then give me a hands-on demo of
how to assemble the product. I took notes and drew quick
diagrams, and asked questions about specific steps of the
process. Then I wrote a draft and asked the SME to review it.
Between the two of us, we've come up with a clear, workable,
set of instructions (we think!).

Regards to all,

Penny Staples
pstaples -at- airwire -dot- com