Re: Re[2]: Are recruiters really listening?

Subject: Re: Re[2]: Are recruiters really listening?
From: JIMCHEVAL -at- AOL -dot- COM
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 17:09:26 -0500

In a message dated 97-11-24 15:16:53 EST, posada -at- FAXSAV -dot- COM writes:

<< I get calls to UNIX program because I mentioned in my resume that I =
created HTML templates that were passed on to Perl coders. =20

Let me add to the chorus here.

In my case, I WAS a programmer, and worked with juicy things like CSP, SQL
and C. So the less savvy agencies that stick everything in a database and
use inexperienced people to search it when a position comes up still contact
me (five years after I left programming) about doing relational database,
COBOL or other programming/analytical work.

Sometimes this is plain ignorance, sometimes it's desperate optimism ("Well,
we can't find anyone else, maybe just maybe he'll be willing to do it.")
It's really a minor irritation more than anything else, though I did unleash
both barrels on one bright light who left me a message for an inappropriate
job, didn't know who I was when I called back and tried to cover his failure
to read my actual resume by taking the offensive and blaming me for not
knowing which agencies had my resume ("What, you don't know where you sent
it? Sounds to me like you just send them out to everybody!")

But except when someone tries to cover ignorance with arrogance like that, I
wouldn't get too upset about it. The fact that not too many people know
exactly what we do probably works more to our benefit than not.

Jim Chevallier
Los Angeles
currently available for contract/freelance work
Visit Chez Jim: Jim Chevallier's Home Page - http://www.gis.net/~jimcheval