Re: Persuasive writing

Subject: Re: Persuasive writing
From: Kathryn J Acciari <acciari -at- ACSU -dot- BUFFALO -dot- EDU>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 12:41:19 -0500

On Sun, 23 Nov 1997, Andriene elizabeth Ferguson-addei wrote:
<snip>

> I am interested in your opinions on the use of persusasion in technical
> writing. In particular... <<

To respond to the technical part of Andriene's question, yes I do include
persuasive statements in my technical prose. Usually it is simply a
statement or two about how a certain feature helps the user, such as 'With
abc feature, you can do abcd with ease. This eliminates xyz [or makes
xyz faster, efficient, etc etc].' This type of persuasive writing helps
the user understand the capabilities of a feature, and also makes them
feel good about finding this feature in the product they bought.

Kathryn Acciari
Technical Writer
Buffalo NY
acciari -at- acsu -dot- buffalo -dot- edu