Re: QUESTION: Inherited ugly Word 7.0 documents

Subject: Re: QUESTION: Inherited ugly Word 7.0 documents
From: Emru Townsend <emru -at- CORECO -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 09:13:39 -0500

>She's got a 75 page Word doc that was e-mailed to her as a .dot file. In
>order to launch it, she disabled the macros, and saved it on her hard
>drive as a .doc file.

That drives me *nuts*. If I had a dime for every Word document given to me
as a .dot file...

>The problem is, this manual is UGLY. She wants to go through and apply
>styles to the manual while she's editing it. But she's not sure of the
>best/quickest way to do this.
>
>Any suggestions for working with ugly, hand-me-down docs?

I go through this on a startlingly regular basis. Assuming there are no
styles already (and I'd bet there aren't), there is no easy way to fix this
-- just methods of easing the pain (I'm also assuming hard drinking isn't
an option).

I have a 'Styles' toolbar I created in Word. My most commonly-used styles
are all available from this toolbar, which resides along the left side of
my screen. I find it makes it easier to navigate the document and apply
styles with one hand on the keyboard and the other on the mouse.

Emru Townsend
emru -at- coreco -dot- com

Cheryle Wiese <cjwiese -at- HOTMAIL -dot- COM> on 11/21/97 06:51:19 PM

Please respond to Cheryle Wiese <cjwiese -at- HOTMAIL -dot- COM>

To: TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU
cc: (bcc: Emru Townsend/Coreco Inc.)
Subject: QUESTION: Inherited ugly Word 7.0 documents

Hi,
I'm posting this query for a co-worker who doesn't suscribe, and doesn't
have Net access right now. I don't have a definitive answer to her
question, so I told her I'd pose it to the experts. :)
Here's the deal:
She's got a 75 page Word doc that was e-mailed to her as a .dot file. In
order to launch it, she disabled the macros, and saved it on her hard
drive as a .doc file.
The problem is, this manual is UGLY. She wants to go through and apply
styles to the manual while she's editing it. But she's not sure of the
best/quickest way to do this.
Any suggestions for working with ugly, hand-me-down docs?
TIA,
Cheryle Wiese