Re: Request help with traffic terminology

Subject: Re: Request help with traffic terminology
From: Thomas Schenk <tmschenk -at- POL -dot- NET>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 12:03:09 -0800

Robert Lieblich wrote:

> Ross Howard wrote:
>
> <snip>

> > >That's the term in common usage.
> >
> > Just "driving too close to the car in front" ("bumper to bumber" is
> > also used, but generally to describe traffic jams, not cars moving at
> > normal speeds).
>
> Watching my beloved Redskins (who really should change their name) hand
> a game to the Cowboys yesterday (we're talking American football, here,
> folks) reminded me of an entirely distinct meaning of "tailgaiting." In
> many places the crowds at football games are so large that hundreds or
> even thousands of people arrive at the parking lots hours in advance of
> the start of the game so they can park near the stadium. They then hold
> parties in the area of their cars. Many of them drive station wagons
> and let down the tailgates of those station wagons to form serving
> areas. Hence "tailgate" - to party in the parking lot before going to
> see the football game. It's standard usage in the Washington, D.C.,
> area, and I've heard it in other US cities.

I think that usage of tailgate is understood and practiced throughout
the US.

Here's a use of the word *tailgate* with which I was completely
unfamiliar (from MWCD10):

tailgate (noun)
2 [from the custom of seating trombonists at the rear of trucks carrying
jazz bands in
parades] : a jazz trombone style marked by much use of slides to and
from long sustained
tones.

Regards,

Tom