Re: Questions Re: Previous Salary

Subject: Re: Questions Re: Previous Salary
From: Tracy Boyington <tracy_boyington -at- OKVOTECH -dot- ORG>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 1997 07:29:16 -0600

John Posada wrote:

> When you get down to it, what harm does it do to mention rate
> ranges...you're going to take the position with the rate you want, not
> what you had.

My post wasn't about ranges, it was about revealing your absolute
minimum. I don't see anything wrong with saying "for this type of job I
charge $40-$50 depending on the particulars." I just don't think you
should ever say "the minimum I'll work for is $35." But employers have
their own range of what they're willing to pay, and I'd prefer not to
reveal my cards while they keep theirs hidden. Also, what if I announce
that my rock-bottom-minimum is $35 and therefore take myself out of
consideration for a job that I would have done for $30 just because I
find it fascinating or fulfilling?

Tracy
Tracy Boyington tracy_boyington -at- okvotech -dot- org
Oklahoma Department of Vocational and Technical Education
Stillwater, OK, USA
http://www.okvotech.org/cimc/home.htm