Tables vs dialog boxes

Subject: Tables vs dialog boxes
From: Barbara Holcombe <bholcombe1 -at- JUNO -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 1997 17:31:39 EST

A lot of the software products I create online doc for, allow the user to
make entries directly on a table or via a dialog box. The problem is,
since the fields in the table are smaller, the name of the fields are
smaller. Entries on the table may even be done differently than the
entries in the dialog box, even though the user has the same result. For
example, In the table they can select a transaction type by clicking the
TRANS TYPE combo box arrow or from the dialog box, they click the
TRANSACTION TYPE combo box. When creating a topic on how to enter a
transaction, should I have two topics: one topic for entries on the table
and one topic for entries in the dialog box? Or should I have one topic
that gives instructions for both in one step? This can make the topic
instructions very lengthy.

Your opinions would be appreciated.
Thanks