Red X's (Again) in Word

Subject: Red X's (Again) in Word
From: Barb Ostapina <Barb -dot- Ostapina -at- METROMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 1997 14:14:36 -0500

HELP!

A colleague of mine is working in Word (Office 97) to create a system
design document. It's text and inserted .bmp files primarily. All was well
until today. Don't know why, but some of the pictures are now big red x's.
I looked in the archives because I remembered this was a recent issue on
the list. Found the solution which said to download and apply Microsoft's
SR1 patch. We tried that. Now, he not only still has the x's, but he can't
insert pictures properly at all. Even in a brand new document. Even after
rebooting.

What happens is that Word inserts a small box (about 2" by 1") in the
document with (apparently) nothing in it (at least, there's nothing in it
on the screen.) When he prints the page, a small version of the picture
appears where the blank box was on the screen. On the screen, he can select
the box, but cannot resize or do much of anything else with it. A right
mouse click produces a command menu, but the Format Object option is greyed
out (which, for the remaining "good" pictures in the document, is an active
Format Picture option). Edit Picture is active, but produces a blank
picture to work on.

I use Word 7 on Windows 95 and am proving to be of no use to him! Can
anybody help? Of course, he needs this document NOW.

Thanks for any help at all,
Barb
barb -dot- ostapina -at- metromail -dot- com