Re: Questions Re: Previous Salary

Subject: Re: Questions Re: Previous Salary
From: John Posada <posada -at- FAXSAV -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 1997 14:11:00 -0500

Tracy...ya gotta set some type of guidelines.

When you set the parameters, you must use a figure that you would be
content with. If you wait untill you come up with an offer higher than
anything else, you will never know what the highest is. If you are
offered $50...does it mean that if you wait long enough, something for
$60 might come along? Should you pass up on $60 becaase you might get
an offer for $65? What if you never get $65 and when you go back for
the $60, the position isn't available anylonger.

Pick a number, and when you get that number along with most of your
other "would likes", then go for it.

Tracy Boyington wrote:

> > Your response can take many forms, depending on your objectives. You may have a "I can't work for less than X" price. If that's the case, say so.
>
> But if you say "I can't work for less than X", you're almost
> guaranteeing that they will offer you X + $1, when they might have been
> willing to pay 2X or 3X or whatever. Gosh, I'm almost using algebra
> here. Mrs. Keener would be so proud.
>
> Tracy
>
> --
> Tracy Boyington tracy_boyington -at- okvotech -dot- org
> Oklahoma Department of Vocational and Technical Education
> Stillwater, OK, USA
> http://www.okvotech.org/cimc/home.htm

John Posada, Technical Writer (and proud of the title)
The world's premier Internet fax service company: The FaxSav Global
Network
-work http://www.faxsav.com -personal http://www.tdandw.com
-work mailto:posada -at- faxsav -dot- com -personal mailto:john -at- tdandw -dot- com
-work phone: 908-906-2000 X2296 -home phone: 732-291-7811
My opinions are mine, and neither you nor my company can take credit for
them.

HEY! Are you coming to the NJ TechWriter lunch? So far, about 10
of us are. Ask me about it.