Re: Numbered list vs bulleted list

Subject: Re: Numbered list vs bulleted list
From: "Keith, Robin" <Robin -dot- Keith -at- MIRAGE -dot- BROOKS -dot- AF -dot- MIL>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 1997 08:59:42 -0600

I work on a government contract and we create large volumes of
documentation. In order to help the reader, we apply the standards of
using numbers for sequentially numbered steps and bullets for the
non-sequential steps.

I guess we must be a Iittle out of date according to Jane though, since
our little "sewing circle" still has a use for those "little hand
bullets" and other "geewhiz thing(s)". In our documentation we still
use a symbol bullet (hand, notepad...), consistently within the
document, whenever we need to draw the readers attention to a note of
importance. It seems to slow the reader, and (hopefully) they pay more
attention to these points rather than losing them in the rest of the
text/steps/bullets.

I agree with the concept of moderation. We don't overkill our customers
with excessive use of fonts, graphics ...etc. I do, however, like being
able to highlight a dry document with the proper use of graphics, style,
and bullets, as appropriate. I think used properly, style can be an
asset.

"Aunt" Robin