Numbered list vs bulleted list

Subject: Numbered list vs bulleted list
From: Don Timmerman <timmerma -at- IPDLINK -dot- IPD -dot- ANL -dot- GOV>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 08:34:18 -0600

Hi all,

I've just returned from the archive with very little success. Here's
the scenario.

The author (programmer) wrote a software installation and user guide
for a DOS program (not a commercial software). Action steps are in
bullet lists; each bullet has been replaced with a graphic pointing
hand (side view).

The editor had to leave the project for several days (business trip)
and I am filling in because of the project deadline. I contend that
any list of action steps be numbered if those steps must be performed
sequentially. The DOE Standard Writer's Guide for Technical
Procedures states the following, "Action step numbering identifies
individual action steps and their sequence."

The editor contends that this item is not an issue. The bullet list
is fine because that method is used in many software docs. What say
you? Also, have I answered my own question?

Don Timmerman, dtimmerman -at- anl -dot- gov
Sr. Technical Writer
Argonne National Laboratory
Argonne, IL

PS Argonne Nat'l Lab is a contractor to the Department of Energy.