Secondary Help Windows

Subject: Secondary Help Windows
From: Ron D Rhodes <Ron_D_Rhodes -at- MAIL -dot- BANKONE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 08:26:39 -0500

Janet wrote:

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
One of the other tech writers in my group is advocating for not using
secondary windows, saying that "some people don't like them."

I'd like some feedback from other professionals about this and how you
make your choices about topic length and using secondary windows.

Janet,

I don't really understand why this writer is saying that some users
don't like secondary help windows. Maybe, SOME really don't like
them. But I think it's a safe bet that MOST users do like them.
Especially when they are used effectively.

A simple example:

Try putting all procedures in secondary help windows. They're
smaller, less cumbersome, and you can keep the window on top of your
application and read the steps as you do them.

When I want to defines fields on a specific screen, I even put my
field definitions in secondary windows.

I'd like to hear more on this discussion.

Ron Rhodes
rrhodes -at- ix -dot- netcom -dot- com