Re: Request help with traffic terminology

Subject: Re: Request help with traffic terminology
From: Ross Howard <rhowardspam -at- MX3 -dot- REDESTB -dot- ES>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 09:55:16 GMT

brownsta -at- concentric -dot- net (Stan Brown) wrote:

>[posted and emailed]

>In article <01bcecbb$cbc29de0$19c774c0 -at- rjaffe>, rjaffe -at- inter -dot- net -dot- il (RJ)
>wrote:
>>Could someone help me with the correct terms in American

>I'll answer for the north central and eastern U.S.
Here comes the U.K.

>>Speeding
>That's it.
Yes. Or driving in excess of the speed limit, if you want to get
"correct" about it.

>>Tailgating (driving too close to the car in front)
>That's the term in common usage.

Just "driving too close to the car in front" ("bumper to bumber" is
also used, but generally to describe traffic jams, not cars moving at
normal speeds).

>>Driving in the breakdown lane
>The breakdown lane is more often called the shoulder around here, but I
>don't know of any special term for driving in it.
Driving on (perhaps "in" for some people) in the hard shoulder.

>>Driving over the solid median dividing line
>"Crossing the center line"

Probably "crossing a solid line/crossing double white lines" while
overtaking. In the case of kamikaze drivers, though, it's "driving in
the lane/direction of oncoming traffic".

Ross Howard

[My e-mail address is spam-free]