Re: Request help with traffic terminology

Subject: Re: Request help with traffic terminology
From: Stan Brown <brownsta -at- CONCENTRIC -dot- NET>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 1997 20:47:04 -0500

[posted and emailed]

In article <01bcecbb$cbc29de0$19c774c0 -at- rjaffe>, rjaffe -at- inter -dot- net -dot- il (RJ)
wrote:
>Could someone help me with the correct terms in American

I'll answer for the north central and eastern U.S.

>Speeding
That's it.

>Tailgating (driving too close to the car in front)
That's the term in common usage. When tickets are issued for tailgating,
the offense may be described as "failing to maintain an assured clear
distance" from the vehicle ahead, meaning a clear distance great enough
to assure that the following vehicle can stop without hitting the lead
vehicle if the lead vehicle stops suddenly.

>Driving in the breakdown lane
The breakdown lane is more often called the shoulder around here, but I
don't know of any special term for driving in it.

>Driving over the solid median dividing line
"Crossing the center line"

--

Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
http://www.concentric.net/%7eBrownsta/