Capping company names

Subject: Capping company names
From: geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 12:52:34 -0600

Jennifer Jelinek <<...was also told that everytime I use
the name of the company in text, it should be
capitalized.>>

This is an ongoing debate on copyediting-l too. My opinion,
having listened to the debate for several years now and
consulted various style guides, is that you're obliged to
spell a name correctly, whether you like the spelling or
not: I'm "Geoff", not "geoff" or gEOff, and that's that.
Pointe finale. So if a company chooses to call itself IBM,
you won't get away with calling it Ibm, iBm, or ibM... the
latter three are not the same people at all.

The issue gets more complicated if the company does
something weird with formats. If Microsoft decided to redo
the corporate logo as (for the sake of argument)
could force you to use the colors in all your
documentation, but they could certainly force you to
capitalize SOFT, and to use the right colors and fonts if
you use use their name as a graphic.

Bottom line? Respect capitalization rules just as you would
for any other proper noun, but ignore weird formats unless
the name appears as a wordmark (graphic).

If it's about technical communication--post it! If not, don't!