Liability for manuals?

Subject: Liability for manuals?
From: Steven Jong <SteveFJong -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 13:49:47 -0500

This week a product manager objected to a passage in one of our documents
telling users that they should change their passwords periodically. "That's a
business rule," he said. "I don't want to tell them how to run their
business." Imagine the liability problems taking THAT suggestion might cause!

Considering that (1) software manuals have told users to change their
passwords ever since passwords were first implemented, and (2) this
application runs a cash drawer, I held my ground... 8^)

-- Steve

Steven Jong, Documentation Group Leader ("Typo? What tpyo?")
Lightbridge, Inc, 67 South Bedford St., Burlington, MA 01803 USA
mailto:jong -at- lightbridge -dot- com -dot- nospam 781.359.4902 [voice]
Home Sweet Homepage: http://members.aol.com/SteveFJong

If it's about technical communication--post it! If not, don't!