Re: Quick Reference Guide - format

Subject: Re: Quick Reference Guide - format
From: Kris Olberg <kjolberg -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 10:26:28 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: Frank Taylor <taylor_f -at- netvision -dot- net -dot- il>
To: TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU <TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU>
Date: Tuesday, November 11, 1997 11:19 PM
Subject: Quick Reference Guide - format

>What do our members consider to be the most popular format of a Quick
>Reference Guide (on a software program) and what should it contain?

Format, size, and content depend entirely on your readers' needs. Do a needs
analysis, reviewing at least these two key items:

* What does the average work area look like?
- Cluttered desks (small stand up flip cards ...)
- No desks (wall hanging ...)
- On the road (VRU response unit or credit card size reference ...)
- In a kitchen (laminated ...)
- etc.
* To what information do your readers need quick access to do their jobs?
This is the key one. Don't guess.
- Go out there and ask them. ("No budget for that," you say? Tell your
company to quit stepping over dollars to pick up pennies.)
- Observe them working for a few days.
- Develop a QUICK questionnaire to help you compose a Top Ten list.
(QUICK means they can fill it out in 5 minutes or less.)

Good luck!

Regards...Kris
kolberg -at- actamed -dot- com
kris -at- olberg -dot- com

If it's about technical communication--post it! If not, don't!