Using manuals/Frame finally!

Subject: Using manuals/Frame finally!
From: John Prince <prince1 -at- WEBTV -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 18:08:45 -0600

Very interesting concept this desire (or lack of) for using User's
Guides. I just spent close to a year writing a User's Guide for a very
complex software program. The system itself goes for over $50,000 and
only includes a one day seminar for one user.

When receiving feedback from one of our Beta sites, the user who filled
out the forms kept writing that she never looks at User's Guides,
therefore she could not comment on mine. She stated she contacted our
Project Manager (her contact) for questions.

Our Tech Support might be quiker for obtaining on the fly answers, but
it isn't free. I'm sure in due time she will be going to the guide, and
I'm certain she will find it very useful. Is it safe to assume that
most TWs write their documentation based on their past experiences? I
know I do.

Also, I FINALLY was able to begin "roadmapping" all my documentation
from Word to Frame. I was not supposed to do this, but I'm doing it
anyway. The way I see it, I am in complete charge of getting this
documentation published, so no one will never know anyway. If someone
at my office wants an electronic copy of a document, they can still get
the Word version (I will do both). It was such a joy to work it Frame
once again...I'm actually looking forward to going back to the office
tomorrow. ;-)

John
http://members.tripod.com/~princej/DC.html (The Great Dallas Cowboys)