Re: deseasonalize

Subject: Re: deseasonalize
From: Mark Baker <mbaker -at- OMNIMARK -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 15:33:47 -0500

>Howdy,
>
>My boss insists on using the word "deseasonalize".
>He basically means to average out a rolling curve.
>
>Has anyone ever heard of this word before? It is
>not in Webster's.
>
>Anyone have an alternative?

In Canada, at least, the conventional term is "seasonally adjusted" as in
"the seasonally adjusted unemployment rate is 9.6 percent".

The key question in these circumstances is not "is it a word?", because we
create new words all the time, but "will the intended reader understand this
term in this context?" It is usually much easier to win a concession on the
second question than on the first.

---
Mark Baker
Manager, Corporate Communications