Re: Use of (TM) and (R) symbols in running text

Subject: Re: Use of (TM) and (R) symbols in running text
From: David Girardot <dmgirard -at- CORNETLTD -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 15:22:18 -0500

>I have really been trying to find out what the mainstream does with
>trademarks. I regularly use the Chicago Manual of Style, which says
>
>The symbols (R) and (TM), which often accompany registered trademark
>names on product packaging and in advertisements, need not be used in
>running text.
>
>One of the things I do at work is publish a IT newsletter and product
>names are all over it. Does anyone know what writers usually do about
>trademark symbols in running text? My company doesn't have a style
>manual of its own and no one in my department has a preference.

Consider including a "trademarks" section identifying any know marks. . .

Trademark Notices
Foo, bar, baz, and bat are registered trademarks of Foo Corporation.
FlooeyWare is a registered trademark of Flooeyware Corporation.
All other product names and services identified throughout this guide are
trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective companies.