Re: online wording question

Subject: Re: online wording question
From: "Wittel, Teresa" <Twittel -at- NCSLINK -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 10:38:05 -0700

>I'm having trouble finding ways to word sentences like the following:

>"To select the program characteristics you want to view, touch the choice
>you want to select in the View selection area."

If I were writing this, I'd simply explain how to use the touch
interface in the front matter and then stick to the usual verbs like
select, clear and choose. Keep it simple.

Select (or Choose) the program characteristics from the View Selection
options.
Or
Clear the selections you do not want from the View Selection options.

After doing this thousands of times, most users get the idea that they
have to touch the screen to select/clear something. This decreases
redundancy and increases the clarity of the instructions.